Grading discussion posts with peer reviews

Jump to solution
rachael_gould
Community Member

Hiya,

I have an assessment where students have to write a discussion post and reply to two other posts. I set it up as with automatic 'peer review' assignment after the discussion post deadline. How can I see that students have completed this task sufficiently? In speedgrader, I am shown the student's discussion post (and other students' replies) but not that student's replies to others. Is there somewhere that I can get an overview of what each student has completed and preferably check their work?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Combining a discussion with a reply requirement and peer review is an interesting combination. The default SpeedGrader view for graded discussions is to show all of a student's contributions to that discussion, but they are out of context. Hopefully the content of those replies makes it obvious whether each is a reply to the prompt or to a classmate, but you can also view the enter discussion within the SpeedGrader.

The peer review comments are visible in the comments section of the SpeedGrader but are not included within the discussion. You can also see which student has been assigned to review which peer by selecting the Peer Reviews option on the Adkins menu for the discussion. To view the comments that student A left for classmate B, view the SpeedGrader for classmate B and the comments from student A are included in the Assignment Comments section. From the page that lists the peer reviews, you can also select those students who have been reviewed to see their submission along with comments from peers.

Note that if you have automatic peer review set up, the students who post after the distribute date will not be included in the automatic distribution and will have to be manually assigned peer reviews if you will allow them to participate after that time.

Attached are two screenshots from a sample. I set up the discussion to distribute peer reviews automatically at its due date, which was 1:45pm. One screenshot shows the discussion, where you can see that Sam Gamgee did not reply until after the due date. The other screenshot shows the peer review page, where you can see that Sam was not given anyone to review and no one was given him to review. That second screenshot also shows that Lobelia Sackville-Baggins has reviewed Frodo Baggins but Frodo has not yet reviewed Elanor Gamgee. If I wanted to see Elanor's peer review comments on Lobelia, I would select Lobelia's name from this page (or from the SpeedGrader). Since Lobelia replied to Frodo on the discussion, she made two comments on his post: one via peer review and one on the discussion.

Screenshot of discussionScreenshot of discussionScreenshot of peer reviewScreenshot of peer review

I worry that my students will confuse the purposes of peer review with discussion replies, and I admire your willingness to use peer review on a discussion that requires replies to classmates.

I’m going to mark my response as a solution, but there can be more than one. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options.

View solution in original post