Group Announcement Idea

Jump to solution
sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but has anyone suggested a way to either: 

1) Send an Announcement to a specific group from the main Announcement page (and have it show on the course activity feed for that group)

or 

2) Have a better way for students in a group to be alerted to a new announcement in their group page besides an email notification. 

We have a course that has a couple different groups and they'll receive different announcements, but currently it seems like the only notification they would get would be in their email or text push, and nothing on the Home Page to let them know there's a new group announcement. 

1 Solution
Bobby2
Community Champion

Hi  @sarah-canatsey  Welcome to the Canvas Community.

By default, Canvas will send your announcement to all sections within your course. To select specific sections for your announcement, click the Post to drop-down menu and select sections from the list provided.  

Note: If your course does not have sections, Canvas will still show the All Sections option, and all course users can view the announcement.

It appears that Groups aren't possible to give separate Announcements to. How do I add an announcement in a course? 

Students can create Announcements in Groups How do I add an announcement in a group? 

As for students being notified this can get tricky. There are a couple of solutions though:

1. Remind students to set their Notifications to receive Announcements. Here's a guide to send them about this: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 
  2. Set Announcements to be at the top of your Home Page. Here's a guide for that: How do I show recent announcements in the Course Home Page? 

I hope these help. Sing out if you need a hand. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes