cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joneska1
Community Member

HTML cannot be previewed

Jump to solution

This is the message that I get from 1 students assignments all assignments.  Have ask she is not dragging and dropping  answer No, she is uploading from google drive answer yes, I try to download and get the same message.

"This file contains HTML and can not be previewed.  Please download to view. " 

What can I tell her to make it Stop??????

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeramiaPessetto
Community Member

I think I might have a solution - The files causing this "HTML/cannot be previewed" error  are likely ".docx" files. You can tell by a blue box next to the document name when you open it in Google Docs.

To fix this:

Go to the document, hit "File" then "Save as Google Doc". This new document, when uploaded, will not give the "HTML/Cannot be previewed error" in the Speedgrader.

(Side note: This does create a new file, so make sure to update the links your students use!)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@joneska1  

It may be the file type the student is submitting?  I know you are saying that the student is uploading from Google Drive, but is she submitting an actual google doc, or could she be uploading a different file type to Drive and then submitting it?

Sonja_Mix
Community Member

I am having the same problem with students at our school. Teachers force them to make copies of document, it saves to Google Drive, and students sumbit it from hteir Google Drive. Any suggestions? It is not happening to all students. 

e06735
Community Member

We are having the same issue and it's driving our teachers crazy!  

bethqualls
Community Member

Yes, I am having the same issue.  It is disappointing to see that this was posted back in April and there's clearly no answer or solution at this point.  I have students uploading files with .pdf and .jpg extensions and I'm still getting this message.  It doesn't make sense.  And their solution is to email me their work, which gets lost easily.  The point of an LMS is to have everything in one spot.

OhsThomas
Community Member

I am having the same issue.  Most of the time this happens because a student is using a Mac or needs to update their software, but I have 1 student out of 150 students who says she is using a school issued chromebook and hers simply never work.

JeramiaPessetto
Community Member

I think I might have a solution - The files causing this "HTML/cannot be previewed" error  are likely ".docx" files. You can tell by a blue box next to the document name when you open it in Google Docs.

To fix this:

Go to the document, hit "File" then "Save as Google Doc". This new document, when uploaded, will not give the "HTML/Cannot be previewed error" in the Speedgrader.

(Side note: This does create a new file, so make sure to update the links your students use!)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos