How can I move student work from one section to another?

Jump to solution
jackhall
Community Member

Here's the scenario:

Students enrolled in Literature course section 11111 and have submitted work. A week into the term, enrollment services creates a new section Literature 99999 and moves all enrollments from 11111 to 99999. My SIS import dutifully concludes the enrollments in 11111 and processes the enrollments to 99999, however, I find out when students call my office in a panic looking for their Literature course (it hasn't shown up on their dashboard) and from the instructor wondering where the graded work went from week 1 went.

So, I restored the enrollments to 11111 and the student work was restored, so I thought I would be able to cross-list section 11111 to 99999 and have the student work and grades follow. Nope. It did work when I cross-listed 99999 to 11111. This is a perfectly acceptable solution, however, I'd really like for everything to be in 99999 since that's the actual course going forward. I'm wondering if there's something I missed here. I know I could have downloaded the gradebook from 11111 and imported it into 99999, however, the student work wouldn't follow. 

Thanks!

Jack

1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

Hello Jack Hall, unfortunately I think your findings are all accurate and you have not missed anything.  I have seen this issue many times and other than dual rostering in Canvas (assuming your SIS does not keep removing the students from 11111) is the only way to keep all the submissions and the grades.  I checked with Canvas support about about a similar situation and there is not a way to move submissions and grades with a student.  Might be something for a feature request?!?

View solution in original post