How can an institution's Canvas user observe her child as a student?

Jump to solution
cogbilld
Community Novice

I work for the ISD and have a canvas accoutn through the ISD.  How can I see my daughter's canvas accoutn without creating a new parent account? I do not see the pairing button to be an observer. thank you  

0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @cogbilld ‌ ~

This is a great question!

I would recommend having two separate accounts (one for teaching, one for parenting!), for your roles in Canvas. You can use your official school email for your teacher account, and you can use a personal email for your observer account. The most common feedback I've heard from colleagues working with their own children is that they can separate work life from home life a lot easier. They can sign in to Canvas Teacher and Canvas Parent using the appropriate login credentials and set notifications in a way that works best for them and their family!

If you'd prefer to have your courses and your daughter's courses in the same place, there is a way to do it, but it's hidden. I'll send you the workaround in a private message because it can also be used by students to observe other students.

View solution in original post