cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvaughn1
Community Member

How do I make the announcements visible to my students?

Jump to solution

What button do I need to select to make the announcements visible to my students? It's saying that it is disabled.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rvaughn1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Does your "Announcements" button have an eye icon next to it along the left-hand side of your course navigation?  If so, this means that it is probably hidden from students?  You'll need to enable the button in your course navigation so that students can click on it and read announcements in your course.  Please check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 for how to enable the "Announcements" button in your course.  I hope this resource will help, Rosalynn.  Please let us know if you have any questions about this information...thanks!

View solution in original post

JohnBlazier
Community Member

The directions were not helpful because I had already posted an announcement and announcements were not hidden or disabled, yet the crossed-out eye icon remained. Apparently I needed to "Save" even though no changes had been made. I guess this is a fourth solution in addition to the three listed in that link.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @rvaughn1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Does your "Announcements" button have an eye icon next to it along the left-hand side of your course navigation?  If so, this means that it is probably hidden from students?  You'll need to enable the button in your course navigation so that students can click on it and read announcements in your course.  Please check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 for how to enable the "Announcements" button in your course.  I hope this resource will help, Rosalynn.  Please let us know if you have any questions about this information...thanks!

This is a poor answer. How do you make Announcements visible? That's the question. No one asked how to re-order Announcements etc.

bowmanr
Community Champion

@JohnBlazier 

Based on the question @chofer answered the question correctly.  There was no follow up as to whether or not the original poster had made the announcements link visible to the students.  Chofer answered the question by explaining how to make the announcements link visible to the students - that iw what the link provided by chofer shows.  If there was another issue, then it was not clear to Chofer and it is not clear to me either.

I do not see anything in Chofer's response about re-ordering announcements.  There may be some of that information in the guide, but that would be extra information.  I just looked closer at the guide.  The first part talks about the re-ordering.  However, at the very end it talks about how to hide/disable navigation links - that is the part that Chofer was getting at.  I guess he could have stated that the part about making the announcement navigation link visible/enabled is down near the bottom.

JohnBlazier
Community Member

The directions were not helpful because I had already posted an announcement and announcements were not hidden or disabled, yet the crossed-out eye icon remained. Apparently I needed to "Save" even though no changes had been made. I guess this is a fourth solution in addition to the three listed in that link.

bowmanr
Community Champion

@JohnBlazier 

as I mentioned in the other post that is strange.  glad that solved your problem.  It would be interesting to know what exactly occurred to make that necessary.