How do I set up online drop-in office hours that can include all of my classes?

Jump to solution
kelsey_lick
Community Novice

I have three classes and want to set up online office hours any of my students can come too. I do not want them to have to sign up ahead of time for a particular slot. I would just like to be online and have them be able to join me. I know I can create an unending conference that I can use but I don’t know how to do that to allow all three of my classes to join.

0 Likes
1 Solution
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @kelsey_lick . The short answer is that I don't think this is possible using stock Canvas functionality. Courses divide students purposefully and in some educational scenarios, it is very important (perhaps even required by law) that students from different courses cannot interact with each other. In a scenario where this is not as important, I would consider using course sections. Although, this may not be an ideal solution for other reasons. Here is a guide on course sections, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12971 

For a solution that allows students from different courses to interact with each other outside of course sections, I would recommend looking at a separate conferencing or communication solution. You could look at a standalone version of BigBlueButton (the tool that powers Canvas Conferences) if you are happy with the existing functionality, but want more control over how you use it. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes