How do we provide the ability to the local Canvas user created through SIS import to change their password?

Jump to solution
kimhuang
Community Participant

I noticed if the local user; the user won't be able to use the SSO to login to Canvas,  was created through the SIS import, there is not an option for them to change their password. The checkbox for "change password" is not on the GUI. Could anyone explain why? The checkbox shows for the manually created user, in other words, the manually created user has the ability to check the checkbox for changing password.

Could anyone explain this paragraph in the official document (How do I change my login password as a student? )?

If you do not have access to change your password, your password is controlled through your institution. Contact your institution to learn how to change your password.

Is there anything in SIS import file that needs to be set or we need the CSM to involve?

Thanks,

-Kim

1 Solution
kimhuang
Community Participant
Author

I will answer it: in SIS import feed file:

Add one more field call: authentication_provider_id, and you can give the value of "canvas".

Special thanks to this note:

-----------

Hey Matthew, did Kona's answer provide what you were needing? I had one other piece of information which might help depending on your scenario. If you have an external authentication system set up and one of your users clicks on the Forgot Password button on the Canvas login screen, it will let you put in an email to send a reset password link but it's likely the email will say that the password is managed by a different system. This is what Kona is talking about. But I know sometimes you may create local, Canvas only accounts and you want them to be able to reset their Canvas password. A trick is that when doing a batch upload creation of these accounts you need to specify a different authentication method. For instance for an account that needs to authenticate locally you use "canvas" in the "authentication_provider_id" field.  More information about data fields for SIS imports can be found here SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

View solution in original post

0 Likes