How do you embed a specific program into canvas that is not the App Center?

Jump to solution
bensonk
Community Novice

My district will be moving to Canvas come next school year as our main hub for all the assignments so I created a free account just to see how it works. I noticed with the App Center that there are programs we utilize in the district but not everything is included. How do you embed a specific program that is not found in your center? We have resources such as USA TestPrep and Achieve3000 that we will utilizing in our classes but neither one appears. These programs could be added through URL but this requires a consumer key and shared secret - we have no idea what these are unless there is a way to find out. Hopefully this will addressed before we make the shift to this tool but I wanted to inquire about it since it will be a major concern when we start using the program next school year.  

0 Likes
1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Kristina,

The App Center only shows apps that have been submitted directly to the App Center directory and is not inclusive of all LTI tools that are available to integrate with Canvas. As you've noted, LTIs can be added using XML, a URL, client ID, or LTI 2 registration (depending on what type is supported by the tool vendor). 

Any apps that require a key and secret are usually provided by the tool vendor—some of them may require a subscription.

You can learn more about External Apps (LTIs) in the Canvas Admin Guide - External Apps chapter.

Hope that helps!

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Likes