How to change your canvas profile username

Jump to solution
childs_jennifer
Community Novice

I want to change the name that people see when I am discussions and other things through canvas. How do I do that?

0 Likes
1 Solution
stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi childs.jenniferand Welcome  to the Canvas Community.

Canvas has a built-in administrative permission for users to change their display names which is explained here How do I change the settings in my user account?. However, this permission can be disabled by your school or institution, hence it is something that they may not permit. I have also seen cases where an institution will permit the changing of a name, however may overwrite this periodically when they refresh/update user details automatically.

If you navigate to Account (on the left hand menu) then Settings, then see if you have an edit settings button. If you are able to change your profile name, you will be able to do so on this screen.

If you don't see the option, then I would anticipate your your school/institution has disabled that permission. You could always reach out to your school's Canvas admin to have your display name changed, or your school may have a different formal process for this, however they will be able to assist you further.

Hope this helps!

Stuart

View solution in original post