How to hide announcements in Canvas.

Jump to solution
kveilleux
Community Novice

I would like to hide old announcements in my courses. I do not need them deleted, I just want to hide them if that is possible.  If so, directions on how to do that are appreciated!

4 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @kveilleux ​ - You and about 137+ other people would love to do this, and unfortunately this is currently not possible in Canvas.  I got that number from this Feature Idea:  , and you can see that although it's a year old and HAS received a response from Instructure, this has still not been developed yet.  What you basically want to do is be able to "unpublish" old announcements that have imported over from a previous course site, similar to the way other things can be unpublished elsewhere.  You may want to scan through that discussion under the Feature Idea for some ideas.  The always-resourceful and great stefaniesanders​ suggests one common workaround of doing a selective import rather than a total import.  Even if you do not have a sandbox course site, that's a good idea to at least remove ones that you KNOW you will not be using again.  I hear this many times from my own faculty, and everyone agrees this ability is overdue, but I'm afraid there's little that can be done right now.  Let's hope soon!

View solution in original post

jhurley
Community Novice

Yes, I would love to be able to hide old announcements from a previous semester, so I can reuse these comments, editing them when necessary. Why can't we do this?

retzlaffgr
Community Novice

What I did was delay the posting until later.  Announcements that I will use next fall for example I pick a date in August and then they will not show up.

This was exactly what I needed! Thanks for the suggestion!