Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kate_F
Community Member

How to remove "Canvas Support" button?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using a Free-for-Teacher canvas account as an instructor and I recently noticed a canvas support button in the bottom right corner of the screen. SupportButton.png

On some pages within modules, the button can get very in the way of the next button in the same location.SupportButtonOverlap.png

At first I assumed it would only show up for me, but when testing the course as a student, I wound up running into the same issue. Is there any way to disable this button so that it does not get in the way of my students?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for letting us know, @Kate_F . The Canvas Support button is part of a new contextual help feature we've introduced in Free For Teachers accounts, and our team will double-check the placement of the buttons and links to ensure that they don't interfere with the course flow.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Kate_F. If I can jump in, the new contextual support is part of our new Free-for-Teacher experience, as @Stefanie mentioned. When hovering over the support icon, you two arrows will appear on the right side, allowing you to move the support center up or down, which will come in handy to move the icon when toggling to the next Module item for you and your students. I've attached an example similar to yours. Users can move it to fit individual preferences, but cannot remove it entirely from the screen. 

Understand that this is feature is to provide additional support for our Free-for-Teacher users, as we want to continue to give FFT users tools to deliver teaching and learning. Thanks!

15 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for letting us know, @Kate_F . The Canvas Support button is part of a new contextual help feature we've introduced in Free For Teachers accounts, and our team will double-check the placement of the buttons and links to ensure that they don't interfere with the course flow.

Kate_F
Community Member

Thank you Stefanie. I appreciate the help and the quick response!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Kate_F. If I can jump in, the new contextual support is part of our new Free-for-Teacher experience, as @Stefanie mentioned. When hovering over the support icon, you two arrows will appear on the right side, allowing you to move the support center up or down, which will come in handy to move the icon when toggling to the next Module item for you and your students. I've attached an example similar to yours. Users can move it to fit individual preferences, but cannot remove it entirely from the screen. 

Understand that this is feature is to provide additional support for our Free-for-Teacher users, as we want to continue to give FFT users tools to deliver teaching and learning. Thanks!

MrLunetta
Community Member

In addition to the ability to drag the help up and down the page, an "X" to remove it entirely would be appreciated as there is already a help link in the LHS navigation.

KevinMeredith
Instructure
Instructure

We appreciate the feedback @MrLunetta. For clarity, the button here is for in-app support on Canvas features and functionality, whereas the help menu offers a different set of options. These include COVID-19/Remote learning resources, links to the Community, the Free-for-Teacher User Hub, and more. The in-app support is being offered for teachers and students to get additional feature-related support right within the user interface. We're confident that it will help newer users gain quicker familiarity with Canvas. 

Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated. 

JenniferAdmin
Community Participant

I strongly recommend moving the button to the left side of the screen where it won't interfere with course functionality.

MrLunetta
Community Member

@KevinMeredith Two completely different help options, both with a question mark icon, will certainly make things clear for newer users. This thread is clearly not about removing the ability of users to get help, rather not being able to take off the training wheels. Perhaps an initially enabled "show contextual help" toggle in Account/Settings would better respect the needs of all users. Yes, yes...thanks for the input. I'll see myself out.

Yes, please, please provide the option of removing the button. I am finding that I need to move it on almost every page while designing courses. Thank you  

Adding to my comment earlier, each time I click the up/down arrows to move the button, it opens the support page, which is adding a bit of chaos to the build out process. Thank you again for hearing out the challenges with the new feature.