cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ematte
Community Member

If an assignment is unpublished does it still show up on the calendar for students to see the due date?

Jump to solution

Also, can I keep assignments unpublished but with the proper due dates.  Bottom line,  I was unable to create everything before the course started, so now I am scrambling to create and teach.  Do you have any advice to go about this issue for me in the here and now?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ematte ​...

If an assignment is unpublished does it still show up on the calendar for students to see the due date?

I went into my sandbox course to test this to be sure.  I can tell you that students will not see the assignment if it is unpublished.  I created an assignment with availability dates of 10/10 through 10/15 and with a due date of 10/14.  While I could see the assignment on my dashboard as an admin/instructor, I could not see the unpublished assignment as a student on the Calendar.

Also, can I keep assignments unpublished but with the proper due dates.

Yup...you can keep assignments unpublished as long as needed.

Hope this helps, Eric!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ematte ​...

I went into my sandbox course to test this to be sure.  I can tell you that students will not see the assignment if it is unpublished.  I created an assignment with availability dates of 10/10 through 10/15 and with a due date of 10/14.  While I could see the assignment on my dashboard as an admin/instructor, I could not see the unpublished assignment as a student on the Calendar.

Also, can I keep assignments unpublished but with the proper due dates.

Yup...you can keep assignments unpublished as long as needed.

Hope this helps, Eric!

View solution in original post

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello  @chofer  ,

Might you know why assignments from this unpublished course  is showing up on my Dashboard in the 'Coming up' list - and how I might get rid of them? I often use this unpublished course (listed as a "Default Term" course) as a kind of template when creating new courses, and then 'copy the course' for the upcoming term. 

Hi  @kimberly_smith1  

As  @chofer ‌ pointed out above, unpublished assignments will display for a teachers, just not for students. If you are using this classroom as a template, then simply remove any dues dates, and that will prevent items from displaying in either your To Do or Coming Up lists.

Kelley

probinson1
Community Participant

I am tearing my heir out with this one. I'm sorry, but unpublished assignments are appearing in Canvas and it's making me (and my students) crazy.

Below is a screen cap taken just now of an UNPUBLISHED assignment:

screen cap of unpublished assignment in a Canvas course.

Below is a screen cap taken just now of that course's Calendar:

Pic of calendar date with incorrect assignment list.

As you can see, the "Journal Week Four Darius Goes West" assignment is clearly there. I have students email me about this, upset and angry. Mostly because that assignment happened three weeks ago (I apparently had a duplicate in the Module with the correct date).

@probinson1 , by design students cannot see unpublished assignments. It sounds like you have some variables at play that the people participating here will not be able to address; someone will need to look directly at the environment. If you and your students are experiencing behavior that is not consistent with intended behavior, please ask Canvas Support to investigate ( How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?