cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mary_klinger
Community Member

Images Disappearing in quizzes

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble with images disappearing in quizzes in canvas.  My students use Chromebooks and most of them can see the images but one or two can't.  I have gone to files and published them individually and they are still not showing up on their Chromebooks. I have cleared the cache and cookies on their Chromebooks and that doesn't seem to help either.  Is there something that can be done to make these images re-appear?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @BStutzman   Images disappearing in Canvas has come up in questions a number of times, such as here Embedded Pictures Disappearing.  One resource you might find useful linked in this question is this related blog, Images Not Showing Up in Canvas? Here’s What You Can Do 

I'm not sure if this is what you or  @mary_klinger  have run into, but the suggestions in the blog may be worth investigating.  Otherwise, you may want to contact Canvas Support as well and report the issue.  There may be an open ticket that you could be added to or Support may have some insight into what is happening.  Please let us know if you discover a fix!

All the best---

View solution in original post

mrizzuto
Community Participant

This was happening in a professor's course this week. She imported an entire course from 2017 into 2019. The instructor preview shows all embedded quiz images without issue. Students could only see the giant lock image. I was able to replicate the issue with a student test user. I removed the images and uploaded duplicates and that was the only fix that seemed to work.

All images were published and none were restricted from student vie. It was quite bizarre.

24 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mary_klinger and welcome to the Community!  I haven't personally experienced this, but hopefully someone reading this has and knows what could be causing the issue.  I do know that at my institution, strange problems arise from time-to-time if connection to wireless slows down.  You might consider contacting Canvas Support about this problem as well as posting to the Community.  Support could look into the issue for your class specifically or let you know if this is something others have reported as well.

I hope you find a solution soon, and if you do hear from Support please let me know what was causing the problem in case someone at my institution has this happen to them as well!

BStutzman
Community Contributor

We are also experiencing this issue in Firefox and Chrome.  Are there any updates for the potential fix?

Hi  @BStutzman   Images disappearing in Canvas has come up in questions a number of times, such as here Embedded Pictures Disappearing.  One resource you might find useful linked in this question is this related blog, Images Not Showing Up in Canvas? Here’s What You Can Do 

I'm not sure if this is what you or  @mary_klinger  have run into, but the suggestions in the blog may be worth investigating.  Otherwise, you may want to contact Canvas Support as well and report the issue.  There may be an open ticket that you could be added to or Support may have some insight into what is happening.  Please let us know if you discover a fix!

All the best---

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mary_klinger and  @BStutzman .  There hasn't been a post to this thread for a while so I thought I would check in and see if the problem with disappearing images still exists or if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks for the update and best wishes!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for checking.

The problem is still there,but it's not very consistent. Sometimes only

one or two of my students have the problem, but the others can see the

image just fine. Sometimes the link is broken, and sometimes I just have

delete the space where it was and re-embed it.

I don't know if this helps or not - but it's an update.

~Mary

Thanks for the update  @mary_klinger !  Considering this I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered".  This can be changed if needed and marking the question as assumed answered doesn't prevent continued discussion in the thread.

All the best---

Tags (2)
mrizzuto
Community Participant

This was happening in a professor's course this week. She imported an entire course from 2017 into 2019. The instructor preview shows all embedded quiz images without issue. Students could only see the giant lock image. I was able to replicate the issue with a student test user. I removed the images and uploaded duplicates and that was the only fix that seemed to work.

All images were published and none were restricted from student vie. It was quite bizarre.

hmjackson90
Community Member

I'm having a similar issue. Starting today, suddenly certain images that were displaying just fine have vanished. Some pages are affected, others not. In a quiz my students are taking this week, two images disappeared, while most remained intact. 

I've checked, and the images are published/not restricted from student view. I've tried deleting the images from my Canvas files, re-uploading them, and re-embedding them. No success. 

The weirdest thing about this is that when I go into the pages or quiz questions to edit, the images are there! Then as soon as I save and preview the final product, the images are again invisible. 

One student who took the quiz told me the images were invisible during testing, then appeared in her feedback/auto-graded quiz after she submitted.

I've filed a ticket to request help from Support...hope they can help. I'll update here if they do.

Update: I was using Chrome earlier. (I've used Chrome and Canvas together with success for two years...until now.) 

Just tried opening Canvas in Microsoft Edge and now the images are back!!! (I did have to load the quiz three times though for all images to display correctly.)