In Search of Dual Purpose Assignment Groups...

Jump to solution
kmclenna
Community Participant

The Canvas gradebook has a sort feature that is tied to the assignment groups that have been set-up on the Assignment page in a course site.  However, if the assignment groups are set-up with the different weights for different course elements (like discussions, problem solutions, quizzes, etc.), there is no way to override the assignment groups that have been set-up for the purpose of weighting course deliverables.  For example, if I have four grading units in a course (with a variety of course deliverables due during each unit), if I simultaneously use weights for items like discussion, problem solutions, etc. (that are utilized throughout the course), there is no way to sort the gradebook by grading unit.  Is there a way to layer assignment groups -- so that assignment weights AND gradebook sorts can be utilized simultaneously?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @kmclenna  - The direct answer to your question is "no," but I wonder if you have considered putting the various assignments for each grading period into MODULES?  The reason I suggest this is that it sound this would be tailor-made for this situation, since the gradebook can indeed filter by Modules. (For the record, topic is covered here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16541-4152814167 ) I realize that this would require yet another step with doing things in your class, but I believe that would satisfy what you need.  You can read up on Modules starting here: How do I use the Modules Index Page? , and while I realize there is a LOT of material pertaining to modules, it may help for the next time you prepare for a similar class, if not now.  Fortunately, it sounds like much of the work is already done with creating items to put into the modules, from here it would be a matter of creating a module (such as Unit 1) and then adding each discussion/assignment/etc. into the module.

Hope this helps a bit, Kay. 

View solution in original post