In-class Essays over Multiple Days

Jump to solution
JakeSnyder
Community Member

I am having my students write a research essay in class instead of having it be homework because I'm tired of ChatGPT. I was told by my IT dept. that I can have them do this in Canvas in the computer lab without being able to access the internet. Because it's a research essay, I am having them do this over more than one class period, and I don't want them to be able to access their work in between class sessions. My students have expressed the preference of typing over doing it via blue book, and I agree, so here I am.

I assumed I would set this up in Quizzes like an essay exam, but I don't see an option to having it available multiple days. I've searched in here, and the answers I've seen state that there is not a way to set up what I'm talking about as an ongoing quiz while not being able to access it between classes. Will I have to create two separate quizzes in order to do this? 

Any advice on how to finesse this would be greatly appreciated, as the two quizzes option would seem to present quite a few problems for students not being able to what they've seen from the previous class and me having to grade them in two separate parts. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
UHD_AdminNickM
Community Explorer

In both New Quizzes and Classic Quizzes, there is an option to require an access code. Essentially, Day 1 you enter an access code (CODE1) and they use that to enter the exam. Once the class period is over, go into the quiz settings, change the access code to something new (CODE2) and reveal the new access code during the next class period. This way you can control the ongoing access of the quiz. You can set the assign to dates for the duration of desired access (Available From: 3/11 | Until: 3/15). This ensures that the quiz is open for a set period, you control when they access the quiz by using an access code, and they can resume the quiz as necessary.

View solution in original post

0 Likes