Insert external link to open in same tab for accessibility compliance

Jump to solution
KatieHRHealey
Community Member

Hello!

Is there a way to insert external links to Canvas pages and have them open within the same tab/window?

The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines recommends minimizing the number of links that open new win...

I've tried editing the HTML from target="_blank" to _self or _parent, but this doesn't work.  I also don't see an option to select a target (although this is an option, within this discussion board, for posting the link I've shared above).

In my Canvas instance, I click the carat next to Links while in Edit mode and select External links. I then can only add the Text and the Link. 

Just wondering if this limitation is specific to my particular campus version or if this is Canvas-wide?

Many thanks!

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @KatieHRHealey for including that link to the WCAG guidelines. I was able to replicate your experience and it looks like Canvas ignores the target attribute. It is possible to use an <iframe> to display a webpage inside the Canvas Rich Content Editor, but I believe that also requires that the other site allow its content to be placed inside another site's iframe.

Since our ability to edit the HTML does not change this behavior, your best option is to customize the CSS and/or JavaScript on your instance of Canvas. In other words, removing the limitation requires something specific to your particular campus.

Here is a link to Canvas Guides on customization:

How do I upload custom JavaScript and CSS files to an account? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes