Integration BigBlueButton into self hosted Canvas

Jump to solution
a_baisarin
Community Novice

We installed Canvas from Bitnami. But there the Conference (bigbluebutton) is not enabled by default.

I tried to install BigBlueButton app from the EduAppCenter as in the picture below:

326937_pastedImage_2.png

where "Config URL" is: https://www.eduappcenter.com/configurations/2z5qc8kzl02lme69.xml?launch_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftest-instal... (from EduAppCenter instructions).

"Consumer Key" and "Shared Secret" I left empty, because I could not find where to get them.

326938_pastedImage_9.png

After that I opened the courses, but the "Conference" tab did not appear there, there are no hidden tab in navigation either:

326943_pastedImage_11.png

I tried to insert this line

<lticm:options name="course_navigation">

in the application settings:

326944_pastedImage_25.png

But this did not produce any results.

Please help install this tool, we need to conduct video conferencing.

1 Solution
ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Hi Admin Admin,

I am product manager for BigBlueButton, the open source web conferencing system behind Canvas Conferences.  While I work at Blindside Networks and can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your question.

BigBlueButton has a native integration with Canvas -- there is no LTI configuration.  Instead, you enable Canvas Conferences from the Site.

First, go to Admin -> Plugins, and then click the gear icon for BigBlueButton.

326997_pastedImage_1.png

You'll see the plugin settings for BigBlueButton.  Uncheck "Disable this Plugin" and you'll be prompted to enter the Domain and Shared Secret for your BigBlueButton server.

326998_pastedImage_2.png

To quickly setup a BigBlueButton server, check out the 15 minute install script at GitHub - bigbluebutton/bbb-install: BASH script to install BigBlueButton in 15 minutes.  

The Domain is the hostname of the BigBlueButton server (such as bbb.example.com) and the Secret is obtained by using the command `bbb-conf --secret` on your BigBlueButton server, see BigBlueButton : bbb-conf .

Regards,... Fred

-

BigBlueButton Developer

(I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks)

View solution in original post