Is there a way to see what pages link to a given file?

Jump to solution
bsr
Community Contributor

I have imported a Canvas course from last year and am updating it. I have a resource in my files that I am pretty certain is linked from somewhere on the site, but I don't remember where. Is there a way to check for links to a given file, to figure out what pages (if any) are using it?

This would be very useful for general house-keeping, too. I have a lot of old image files in my site that have been imported from previous versions of the course and are probably obsolete, but I'm afraid to delete them because I can't see whether anything is using them!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @bsr ...

There's not really anything I can think of in Canvas that's "built in" that would help, but there is a paid product you may have heard of from Cidi Labs called TidyUP.  It's essentially a file clean-up tool for your coure(s).  It helps you identiy files, folders, and content that aren't used in your course(s) so that you can free up space for other content.  It also identifies where files are used.  For example, take a look at this screenshot from my own sandbox course:

TidyUP.jpg

As you can see, this view from TidyUP tells me where these files are used in my sandbox course.  It's pretty handy.  It might be worth your time examining it for your own school  You might want to talk with your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see if this would be something that might be valuable for you and your other colleagues at your school who teach in Canvas.

Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post