Keeping Track of Non-Contributing Assignment Points

jeffrey_villine
Community Explorer

(MODS: Please see edits before marking as "solved.")

I have a category of grades in my class where, over the course of the semester, students need to score 250 points.

The average score on these assignments will be between 20-25 points, though exceptional, surprising, or insightful writing could score up to 30.

On average, it will take students about 10 assignments to get their points for this category. Really strong writers can do it in fewer assignments, but students who need more practice can still get all 250 points by doing more.

What I would like would be if the grade book would keep track of all the points earned in this category, but cap the final contribution at the number I set (working up to the final 250 point target at the end of the semester). What I mean by this is, if a student has earned 300 points in this category by the end of the semester, it's still going to be capped at 250. There is presently no function for this.

What I am doing now is flagging every assignment int his category as "does not contribute to final score." I then created an additional grade-book column (an "assignment" with no submission), where every few weeks I manually set the rising target and input the students' earned-to-date points in that category (capped at the current target). It's a bit of a kludge, but it works more or less.

What I've noticed is that even though every one of these assignments (I call the "Big Questions") is marked as part of the Big Question category, the Big Question grade category currently shows up as 0/0--since none of the assignments contribute to the final grade. This is annoying, because now whenever I want to update the points totals throughout the semester, I have to go back and add up their scores myself.

What I need is an ability to see all the points earned by each student in that category to date, even if it doesn't contribute to the final score. The closest I could do to this is turn off the "does not contribute" flag on all of my Big Questions, then set the course weights with every category except Big Questions. This won't work for me, though, because I don't weigh my grades: 10 points of a reading response is worth as much to the end grade as 10 points on their final essay. And as a lot of the smaller assignments throughout the semester are made on the fly in response to the individual course's needs, I can't predict from semester to semester how many points are going to be in each category in order to have that reflected in the percentage breakdown. I know I could make one giant grade category, such as "NOT Big Questions," put everything in it and give it a weight of 100%, but then I lose the ability to sort my assignments and view the grade book by category.

What would work, if not the function to set a cap for a category, would be the ability to flag an entire category as not contributing to the final score--so just so I can at least see on its grade book column how many points each student has in that category to date.

EDIT 1:

I was looking for some solution that didn't involve weighting, since I can't predict how many assignments I have in some of my categories from semester to semester, and I want 10 points to equal 10 points, regardless of category.

Back when I was at a school that used Blackboard, I seem to remember being able to put multiple categories into clusters--so I could put all my non-BQ categories into a 100% cluster and that weighting would not constrain the categories themselves. In other words, I could have a 0% BQ category without having to enforce strict demarcations between the other categories. I'd been looking to see if there was a similar function here that I was just overlooking, but I suppose not.

EDIT 2:

I have in the past used the "Drop __ lowest grades in this category" for these assignments, but I'm trying to achieve something different. I do not want my students to get only the points of the ten best submissions. I want them to earn 250 points in this category, regardless of how many submissions it takes them to do it. If they score 250 or less, I want Canvas to calculate that percentage. If they score more than 250, I want Canvas to cap the overage.

Labels (1)
0 Likes