cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlbryan
Community Participant

Late policy with multiple attempts on a quiz

Jump to solution

When using the late policy, If a quiz has been allowed to have multiple attempts and is set to take the highest score, If the newest submission is late the late policy overrides the highest score function and applies the policy to the newest score on the test. Has this been caught in the beta testing? I would think that if the teacher allows the highest score grab on the multiple attempts, that it would apply the late policy only if the newest score was the highest, or override the late policy.

40 Replies

Thank you for this update/post as we just had a teacher encounter this issue and your response was perfectly timed.

We honestly thought the two functions worked in the "apply penalty then compare for highest grade" order. 

Any update on the bug Erin? It has been two years that users have been notifying you of this problem. This is a major pain. A lot of us are using quizzes to have our students prep for the exams and it should be fair for students to be penalized if they give another attempt to their quiz..

Hi, Alexandre,

Looks like the team has been working on this for a few months (and unfortunately Covid set them back a bit), but they are actively working on it, even as late as today. They're getting close.

Thanks,

Erin

volzk
Community Participant

Hi Erin,

Thanks for the update, and Alexandre, thanks for bringing this up!  This will be a really important feature for so many of us as we manage courses online this Fall.  Do you expect it to be complete by late August?  Thank you!

Katie Volz

Hi, Kathleen,

They're still working on it. Smiley Happy The best way to keep up with the status of a ticket would be to report a support case. Ask to have your case associated to EVAL-134.

Thanks,

Erin

Hi @erinhmcmillan - thanks very much for the link to the current issue for this topic.  The URL in the new community is https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Current-Issues/New-Gradebook-Late-Policies-and-Multiple-Quiz-Atte...

It is marked as complete as of 8/12/20, but apparently it hasn't been deployed yet, it's not listed in the 9/9 deploy or other earlier deploies.  I will get a help ticket so I can follow this issue, appreciate the case number EVAL-134.  I am not exactly sure what the fix is - this is what the current issue says, perhaps that is what the change will be.  Since you were the last one to edit that page, perhaps you know, Erin?

To be determined by Product, however,

• Average: It seems better to only subtract points from the late submission(s), and then average all the submissions.
  • Highest: It seems better to not penalize the On-Time submission if it is the highest.
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Nancy_Webb_CCSF 

I hadn't been able to get back to this and update it yet, but this ticket only resolves the behavior for Old Quizzes. I'll need to go back and update deploy notes to reflect the change, and I'll link here when I get that finished!

Thanks,

Erin

volzk
Community Participant

Hi Erin,

I thought that you shared that this had been fixed.  However, this semester I am having the same issue again.  A student took a Canvas quiz "on time" and scored 100%.  She then took another attempt later, to study for her test, and the late penalty applied, and THAT SCORE was kept in the gradebook.  (I have it set up to keep the highest score.)  So the problem has persisted, despite the report that this issue had been resolved.  

Thanks for looking into it further.

Katie

volzk
Community Participant

@erinhmcmillan Erin, can you please update us as to whether this is going to be part of an update in the near future?  I thought you had let us know that it was fixed, but the functionality has not yet changed.  THANKS!

Katie

Hi, are you using new quizzes or old quizzes?