Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbeane

List of function available for use in Formula Questions

Jump to solution

The blog post Looking Up Values in Formula Questions mentions the functions reverse, sort, and at that can be used when creating formula questions. This is the only reference to the use of functions in Formula Questions that I can find anywhere.

Is there a list of other functions that are available? I know from experimentation that ln, e^x, max, min, and various trig functions are available. What about statistical functions such as the normal cdf or inverse normal cdf?

Thanks,

Robbie Beane

Tags (1)
19 Replies
James
Community Champion

@lic ,

You really need an external system if you want to do algebra and calculus the way that people want to do math.

Formula questions are numeric only and do not support algebraic manipulations or exact answers. Fill in the blank questions support symbols to an extent, but there are too many ways to enter a correct answer to use them reliably. You can use essay questions, but then they won't auto-grade.

CraigOgden
Community Member

This "Needs help" link needs to be put into the Quizzes.next formula editor as well.  I can never member what all the available functions are.

smykke

I'm having trouble getting the following equation to enter into the formula question.

I need   sin^-1(W/L) (This is a angle of impact calculation for blood spatter).

Since Canvas only does trig functions in radians I added the rad_to_degrees in front so I had:

rad_to_degrees(asin(W/L)) but it returns the error:

"unrecognized method rad_to_degrees"

I set up the numbers so that the L would always be greater than W to avoid a decimal >1.

Any suggestions except making it a MC or essay, which I don't want to do.

TIA.

James
Community Champion

@smykke  

rad_to_degrees is not the name of the function, it's rad_to_deg

See Canvas Formula Quiz Question Helper Functions for the list.

That said, there was a bug within the last month or so that had rad_to_deg and deg_to_rad switched. I haven't tested it recently, but I would double check your questions if you use it.

You can always force rad_to_deg by multiplying by 180 and dividing by pi. That will work whether the function is broken or not.

smykke

Thank you that worked.

I just went off the example above:

rad_to_degrees(asin(1/2)) should return 30, while asin(1/2) would return the decimal form of π/6.

It did work correctly now.

Thank you!!!

James
Community Champion

@smykke  

Thanks. I didn't realize I had typed that (I was probably typing what I was pronouncing instead of what was written). I went through and edited it to fix it to the proper function name.

CraigOgden
Community Member

The list of functions link is not working.  Is there an updated one?

In the New Quizzes, this is no longer an option. I can't figure out how to do a different base in the new quizzes either.

I can't get the log(a, [base] to work for base 3 in the new quizzes. It keeps saying invalid formula. I have tried multiple combinations of spaces between the log and parentheses and around the comma, but nothing is working in the new quizzes.
CraigOgden
Community Member

If you have log base 3 of 8.  You could always use the change of base and do log 8 / log 3 or ln 8/ ln 3.

for example:

image018