Missing 0's are overwritten by Set Default Grade

Jump to solution
campbellj
Community Member

I set up Canvas to automatically score all missing assignments as a 0 after the due date has passed. Then I went in to set the default score for the students who had submitted their work. I did NOT check the box that says "overwrite existing scores." But Canvas still replaced all those missing 0's with the default grade, so now all students have a 100%. I don't think I did anything wrong - I think this is a bug in Canvas not seeing the missing assignments as already graded because I didn't enter the zero manually.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @campbellj   I can't find anything particular written about this anywhere in a cursory search of the Community.  I would think that the expected behavior would be that students who had received a zero because of the late policy would not be overwritten by the default grade setting.  I would contact Canvas Support (see How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) and let them look into this a bit.  They could probably let you know if this is how the system currently functions or if there is a bug.

Please let us know what you learn! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes