New Gradebook Misaligned Columns

macedo
Community Member

It appears when minimizing/maximizing column width, the assignment headers shift to the point where you cannot identify which student grade is associated with which assignment. This happens particularly when you scroll the browser window to left or right to view all assignments. 

I followed up with Instructure who notified me that their UI developers are aware of this issue. This stems from an issue with the SlickGrid library, which is an API that the gradebook uses. Even though Instructure is aware of the problem, they claim to be reliant on SlickGrid's developers to resolve the issue internally before the fix is pushed to Canvas. Support indicated that their engineers had an internal ticket about this, as multiple users have reported this in the past, but the issue seems to have been closed based on the "limitations" of SlickGrid's system. Support also indicated that this seems to happen when a user scrolls the browser window all the way to the right - which I explained is a common action for teachers and graders supporting classes with multiple assignments. I also reiterated that the max/min of the column width is also a common action users engage in, especially now that the manual posting policy is displayed in the assignment headers. However, support seemed to indicate that Instructure has their hands tied until SlickGrid fixes the issue on their end. 
It was unclear from support whether there was any pressure from Instructure being applied to SlickGrid to fix this bug. It seems to be a fixable item, yet there doesn't seem to be a clear path or timeline on getting this addressed. 
Can we get an official response of the timeline for when this will be fixed, or at least to get more information on the "limitations" preventing SlickGrid from pushing this fix?
0 Likes