Notifications

Jump to solution
jsantomassimo
Community Novice

Hello, looking for some help! When I am working on creating assignments, my students have been receiving notifications about files I am uploading, when I haven't even PUBLISHED the assignment? Often times these notifications are being sent out at 1-2am as that is when I have the time to do my work! Also they are able to see these files.  My understanding was that when you just "SAVE" it shouldn't be accessible by the students.  Is there a reason why this is happening or a way to resolve the issue on my end? Is it a glitch in the system? Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Jill,

When you add a file anywhere in Canvas that file gets added to the Files section of your course.  If this navigation is available it also means that students will have immediate access to those files; and in some cases notifications depending on their settings.  This is true even if the actual assignment, page or even quiz (Yikes) is not yet visible to students.  One of my calculus teachers found this out the hard way with her entire exam as a PDF file.

I have two suggestions:

1. Hide the Files navigation in your course.  This depends on a little on how you organize content, but if you are linking to files and using Modules to organize there is usually no need for students to have access to the Files navigation tab.  I think if you have it disabled it will prevent the notifications for files added to unpublished content since they will not have access.  
  2. Create a "secure" folder inside your Files area and set the Publish option to "Only available to students with link".  Then put your files in here.  I always do this with quiz files or images but you could also do it for most any file you want.  Doing it with a folder means you don't need to manage permissions on each file independently.  Files in the folder will only be visible to students if linked to or embedded on an item; and only if that item is visible to them.  They will also not receive notifications then about those files being added to the folder.

Hope that helps,

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Likes