cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prof_Z
Community Member

Observer not be able to see Media Gallery

I have a colleague enrolled as observer to my course on Canvas, but he's not able to see the Media Gallery link (which the students have no problem accessing it).

Is there an option to enable the Media Gallery depending on the role? Or observers simply can't access this part of the course?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not familiar with Media Gallery so it might be integrated tool.  Perhaps an integration with Kaltura.  Integrations can be set up and have control over what users can see the content.  It's not anything that you would likely have any access to change, but your Canvas admin might be able to change the integration a little to let the Observer role see it.  Having said that, licensing may prevent your admins from being able or willing to do it.  Often times other integrated systems like this rely on valid email accounts of a specific domain (such as your school) to work.  Observer accounts are often created using personal rather than school email accounts.

Rick

cholling
Community Champion

@Prof_Z I just added a test account to my sandbox course as an observer and that account had no issues with access the course video through Media Gallery. One phrase in your post caught my eye "the Media Gallery link." I initially read your question as they couldn't access the media itself. Could you clarify what they are not able to access? Where is the link to Media Gallery? Has it been added to the course's menubar or is the link to a specific media embedded elsewhere in the course?

Cindy

Prof_Z
Community Member

Thanks @rmurchshafer and @cholling for your replies.

The missing link (to the Media Gallery itself) I refer to is the one in the left menu, see screenshots from both the "student view" and "observer view".

The Media Gallery is indeed an integration with Kaltura, I will check with the IT admin of my university.

cholling
Community Champion

@Prof_Z everything I've found indicates that Observers cannot see anything that does not directly relate to their paired student and the work they do in the course. As Kaltura Media Gallery is a third-party tool that is accessible to all students, it seems that it is restricted from the Observer's view.