Penalize multiple quiz attempts

Jump to solution
lmitchel1
Community Member

I'd like to penalize students for making multiple attempts on a quiz. I'd like students to be able to retake their quiz, but to receive minus 10% for each retake, so on the first take the highest possible score is 100%, but on the second attempt the highest possible score is 90%, on the third attempt the highest possible score is 80% and so on. I haven't seen way to do this. 

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@lmitchel1  

The reason you haven't seen any way to do this is because it isn't there. With the tools that Canvas provides (web interface or Canvas Teacher App), you would have to go through and manually adjust the fudge points for each additional attempt to accomplish this scheme.

If you keep the highest grade, then reducing the points on each attempt is about the only thing you can do. It may be that the second attempt was the highest until you applied the penalty and then the highest attempt becomes the first attempt or perhaps the third.

I keep the "average" score instead of the "highest" on my attempts and using this method, you would only have to change one grade to achieve desired weighting. However, you must do this after all attempts have been completed as additional attempts would through off the average.

Automation of this process would require additional programming and using the Canvas REST API to fetch the quiz submissions, apply fudge points based on the attempt number, and send the grade back to Canvas. That is beyond the ability of most users to create.

View solution in original post