Please help! Changed point value for assignment, all letter grades changed to F

Jump to solution
Toddnk
Community Member

All my grades for individual assignments were entered by as letter grades and I wanted the gradebook to calculate final grades by their % of the students' final grades. I followed the advice of my University Canvas support and edited the assignments, changing the 'points' to the percentage of the final grade. Then all the grades changed to Fs and had a 0 point value for all assignments! The university support is not available now and I am absolutely beside myself worrying that I've lost all the data for the grades I've done for the entire course. Please help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @Toddnk 

You must be in a total  panic!

First things first - change all your assignment setting back to their original settings, and that should restore your grades. This is for your comfort, so you can start breathing again.

The canvas gradebook always calculates grades as a percentage of the total possible score, ALWAYS! It does not matter how you have set Canvas to display, the Gradebook still calculates a percentage. The Gradebook can convert that percentage to a letter grade, and you choose the grading scale: How do I set a Grading Scheme for a course?

The steps you follow to have grades display as you wish in the Gradebook are:

1. Create a grading scheme: this will tell Canvas what equivalent percentages your letter grades represent,
  2. Give all your assignments a point value,

How do I add or edit details in an assignment?

3. Set how you want assignment grades displayed in the gradebook - letters, points, percentages, or complete/incomplete.
  4. Set how you want the total score to display in the Gradebook - as points or percentages - Canvas will still also display the equivalent letter grade.

Screenshot of Total column with Gradebook set to display as points...

kmeeusen_0-1623513083771.png

Screenshot of Total column with Gradebook set to display as percentages...

kmeeusen_1-1623513176252.png

PLEASE NOTE: If you change the points possible for an existing assignment with graded submissions, you will need to regrade the assignment. This warning message applies to any grading type with assignment submissions, including changing points from or to zero. 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes