cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SEAN2E

PowerPoint Video Audio Trouble

Jump to solution

When I create a PowerPoint video (by converting a PowerPoint into an MP4 under the files section of PowerPoint), the audio is fine when uploaded to YouTube or listened to in Windows (or another viewer). However, when I upload my PowerPoint videos to Canvas, there is a strange buzzing and crackling sound behind all of them. This seems to happen whether I convert the file to video in HD or Standard. This also seems to happen whether I upload the videos to my files in Canvas or through Panopto. I know that it likely has to do with the fact that the audio is being rendered in PowerPoint and then again in Canvas.

Is there a workaround for this or do I need to just start using YouTube and links for my videos? I do not want to record my videos in Panopto. I need to be able to upload already finished videos.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi @SEAN2E ...

I guess I would recommend not uploading the file to your "Files" area...but rather using the steps outlined in the Guide that I provided above.  That way, your video would get uploaded to Canvas' media server and saved in an "Uploaded Media" folder within your course as described at the bottom of the light-blue box in this Guide: How do I upload and embed a media file from my com... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  I just tried this with my own *.mp4 file (28 seconds in length), and it works as described.

Do you have access to Studio?  Studio is a paid add-on product from Instructure, and not every school has purchased it...but it might be another option for you to try if you have it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @SEAN2E ...

When you are uploading your video to your course for your students, are you uploading it using this process?

How do I upload and embed a media file from my com... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Another option...do you know if you have Canvas Studio?  (You would see a "Studio" icon on the far left-hand side global navigation menu in Canvas.)  If so, have you tried uploading the video to Studio to see if the video quality is any better?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply. I usually actually go into the "Files" section of my Canvas page and upload the video there--as I don't always know exactly where the video will end up. However, I have tried uploading the video directly to an Announcement, from my computer, using the Rich Content Editor, and I get the same problem.

I should have mentioned that this was actually a question I had asked long ago and I never got an answer to a fix. However, there was one guy who said that is was likely happening because the video is being rendered twice. When you look online for audio issues, and cross-search that with rendering twice, other people and programs have mentioned various programs that have issues related to this. I was just hoping that Canvas had created some sort of fix to the issue. I know other people had posted, in the past, about the same issue. I couldn't find any of their posts but I do remember feeling validated last year when I looked up the same question.

Sean

0 Kudos

Hi @SEAN2E ...

I guess I would recommend not uploading the file to your "Files" area...but rather using the steps outlined in the Guide that I provided above.  That way, your video would get uploaded to Canvas' media server and saved in an "Uploaded Media" folder within your course as described at the bottom of the light-blue box in this Guide: How do I upload and embed a media file from my com... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  I just tried this with my own *.mp4 file (28 seconds in length), and it works as described.

Do you have access to Studio?  Studio is a paid add-on product from Instructure, and not every school has purchased it...but it might be another option for you to try if you have it.

0 Kudos