Prerequisite before progressing in a class...

Jump to solution
eecmaeoe
Community Member

If I have a "prerequisite" for part of the course I created, do I still "publish" that action?  

When I try to do so, it gives me this notice:

"You have changed the progression requirements for an active course. There may be students who have already progressed to this module and to others that depend on it.

Would you like to let students continue in the course or do you want to re-lock these modules until the new requirements are completed?"

Will publishing it cancel out the prerequisite???

Thanks!

Cindy

1 Solution
chadscott
Community Contributor

Howdy,

So what it's saying is say you have the following -

Module A

Module B

If you change the prequisite for Module B to be "Complete Module A" - Students will not be able to access Module B content until Module A content is finished. If you set this up in a course with students, it shows that message because students may have already made progress through Module B without doing Module A, Canvas won't know because the prereq wasn't set, so it wasn't tracking.

So your options are to either tell it to ignore the prereq for students who started on Module B and let them keep going or relock module B until Module A (and any other prereqs) are met.

Personally, I would go with relock and make an announcement explaining the prereq and that it's now set, so if the student hasn't completed module A, to complete that, and then module B will open for them. If you are working ahead of your students and you know they aren't to that module anyway, then I'd just choose "relock" and not bother with an announcement.

Cheers,
Chad

View solution in original post