cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamin_hoffman
Community Participant

Problem deleting assignment group

Jump to solution

I am trying to delete some old assignment groups for a new class (the assignments are showing up as blank, unpublished columns in the Canvas grade book), but the "delete" option is grayed out. 

Do I have to delete each assignment piecemeal?  There's a LOT of them!

Is there a fix for this?

Jamin

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jamin,

To delete and assignment group, you have to go to the Assignments area, make sure there are no assignments in the group, and then delete the assignment group there, not in the Grade Book.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jamin,

To delete and assignment group, you have to go to the Assignments area, make sure there are no assignments in the group, and then delete the assignment group there, not in the Grade Book.

That's where I am - but the "Delete" option is grayed out.

Delete_option_grayed_out.png

0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure you can't delete an assignment group while there are assignments in it.  You'll need to move those assignments to a different assignment group first.

0 Kudos

I've done it before, and it gave me the option of either (1) deleting the assignments, or (2) moving the assignments to another group.  It's not doing that, this time.

Jamin

0 Kudos
jamin_hoffman
Community Participant
I found out how to fix this problem!  It was bugging me that I had no problem deleting other assignment groups, even if they had lots of assignments in them, but this one assignment group had the "delete" option grayed out, so it wouldn't let me delete it.  [FWIW - when I deleted other assignment groups, it asked me whether I wanted to delete all the assignments or move them to another group; this group did not present me with that option, either.]

I discovered that the issue was that I had one "locked" assignment within that assignment group. So, to fix it, I had to go into the master course and then unlock that assignment there.  After doing that, I could delete this assignment group just like I had done for the other assignment groups.

This was a lot easier than deleting each of the assignments one by one (I had over fifty of them), which was the default suggestion from several people I spoke to about this issue.

Jamin