cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corpush
Community Member

Quiz images appear as big locks even though the permissions are unlocked.

Jump to solution

I have prepared a quiz on CANVAS.  The first student accessed the quiz and all of the images appear as big locks, rather than the images I embedded into the questions.  I tried to follow the instructions provided to ensure that the images were "published" so that the students could "see" them, however when I check the quiz in STUDENT VIEW, they still appear as big locks.  I currently have students trying to take the quiz within the time limit provided, but cannot since they cannot see the images for each question.  Please help!

HJC

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Heather,

Are the images in a folder within Files and is that folder perhaps set to be locked?  Check the published state of the Folder in addition to the images.

Another possibility is if you have the images in a module and the module is unpublished, those most restrictive settings apply so the images will not be available in the Quiz either.  I think the same holds true if you have the images on a Page and the Page is not published too.

Rick 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Heather,

Are the images in a folder within Files and is that folder perhaps set to be locked?  Check the published state of the Folder in addition to the images.

Another possibility is if you have the images in a module and the module is unpublished, those most restrictive settings apply so the images will not be available in the Quiz either.  I think the same holds true if you have the images on a Page and the Page is not published too.

Rick 

View solution in original post

ahoran
Community Member

I have used embedded images without issue for a long time.  This issue has been horrible all week.  Something must have changed at a higher level.

Amanda,

Are you using Safari for your web browser?  I noticed a couple of weeks ago after a Safari update that images in Quizzes started appearing as question marks.  I think it's due to Safari now blocking all 3rd party cookies and cross-site tracking by default.  The only solution I've found for Safari is to uncheck the box to Prevent cross-site tracking

344996_pastedImage_1.png

I believe Chrome and Firefox can also have the same problem if someone changes the default security on those browsers to block 3rd party cookies.  Unlike Safari though, both Chrome and Firefox have the ability to allow exception web sites. We've seen that issue come up more ofter with a few LTI integrations and not logging students into the other linked systems.   Having the user add both *.instructure.com and the other site to the exceptions list tends to fix that issue but I haven't had a case of needing to do it for images yet.   

Rick

I use Chrome on my PC and have had zero problems.  All of my students have iPads, so it wouldn't surprise me if many of them are using Safari.  I just tried on my school-issued iPad, and sure enough, pictures still aren't working through Safari but did work as soon as I used Chrome.  I will try this suggestion with my students and see if it helps.  If it does, this just made my week a lot better.

I just found the "Prevent cross-site tracking" in the iPad settings, unchecked it, and that fixed the problem in Safari on the iPad.  Now to try with my students.  Thank you!!

Yay, this worked. Thank you!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Please refer to this post for an update on the issue regarding the effect of the recent Safari update on images.

jchadwicklv
Community Member

I did not have this issue come up until recently. My students were taking an exam and all images were locked.  There was a large lock where the students view the image in a question or an answer. As faculty, you will  not view the lock and it appears as if the exam is fine.  This is also the case if you go into settings and use student view or preview the exam, it looks fine and the instructor does not see the lock or know there is anything wrong with the exam.  You only know there is something wrong when all your students begin emailing you during the exam.

I found that all my images for a quiz reside in a quiz subfolder in Files.  They are default set to 'students with a link' which means you have to provide access to the images somehow.  If you click on publish to publish the image or the file folder containing the images, it does not work.  However, you can set a time when the images are available to students. If you set the time during the quiz, this will allow students to see the images as far as I can tell.   

Thanks Rick your help is appreciated.

For my case, none of my files are locked or unpublished and I have website tacking turned off in safari.  I will get a blue question mark for all images.  (See below)

It also occurs in the Canvas app for iPhone and iPad in IOS.

So for the community as a whole the website tracking option may be useful. but it has not been useful for any of my courses at two different institutions.  If anyone else has insight they can share I would be very grateful!

-Rick Morgan

atomicwebs_0-1609436019418.png