Quizzes with Multiple attempts- Total Points Calculation

Jump to solution
ulstad_2
Community Explorer

We have 'homework' quiz where students get up to 3 attempt for each question.  Currently, there are 12 questions and a total of 100 points.  When students take the quiz the first time, they are getting 1 point for each correct answer or a grade of 12!  They are concerned because they should have 100.  Why are they only getting 12, and will this problem fix itself when the quiz closes?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ulstad_2 

I apologize that no one has responded to your post. By now I imagine you have observed that in Classic Quizzes it's not possible to assign a top-down points total to a quiz. Total points for a Classic Quiz are based on the point value assigned to each question, so if each question in the quiz was worth 1 point, and the quiz has 12 questions, the maximum score a student can achieve on the quiz is 12.

The way to resolve this in Classic Quizzes is to adjust the point value for each question so that they add up to the desired point total. This can't be done precisely for a 12-question quiz that needs to be worth 100 points, though; when I was teaching, I adjusted for this by having the points for each question reflect the relative difficulty of the question.

That having been said, if you're using New Quizzes, this shouldn't have happened. In New Quizzes, the instructor can assign points to the quiz at the top level, and those points will be distributed among the questions according to how many points they're set to be worth.

I hope this will help you in your future courses. Please take a moment to look through the resources in the New Quizzes User Group and check with your district admin if you're ready to start using the new quiz tool.

View solution in original post