Renaming Duplicated Pages

Jump to solution
TwylaEvans
Community Member

I have duplicated pages to create a template for courses that will be used in the upcoming semesters.  In doing this, the titles to the pages have become (name of original page)-(number of times copied).  For example, I have a page titled "Completion" that is at the end of each module.  I am currently looking at "Completion-3." I have tried to edit the page name in the page view, but it reverts back to "Completion-3" each time.  I am able to change the name in the module, however.  So, it reads "Completion" in the module and when opened, reads "Completion-3."

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @TwylaEvans ...

Any pages that you create on your "Pages" index page need to have unique names.  (FYI, this is not the case for the "Assignments", "Discussions", and "Quizzes" index pages, though.  You can have duplicate names on those areas of your course.)  Any time you make a duplicate of a page or try to create a brand new page with the same name, Canvas will detect that the page name already exists, and it will append the -2, -3, -4, etc. after the page name.  In my former role as a Canvas administrator, when I built courses for our faculty and adjunct instructors, I sometimes saw this happen with duplicate page names.  Our courses had "Learning Plans", and so what I would do is instead name the pages like this:

• Learning Plan 1: Completion
  • Learning Plan 2: Completion
  • Learning Plan 3: Completion

Or...

• LP1: Completion
  • LP2: Completion
  • LP3: Completion

You might want to consider something similar.

If you stick with just one "Completion" page, you could essentially just add that same page to multiple modules in your course.  But, keep in mind that if you change anything on that page, it's going to change it in each module...because you are only making edits to one page and not many.

Hope this will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post