Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swhitney
Community Member

Rubric Editing Issue

I am experiencing an issue when trying to edit a rubric and am hoping someone can help me.

I created a new rubric for a single assignment in my course on Canvas a few weeks ago. All of the students have now submitted their work, and I began annotating their essays and giving feedback. 

When I went to use the rubric values I had set beforehand to score the submissions, however, I just noticed two severe issues. 1) Canvas altered the scores for each of the ratings in a odd way. 2) Is seems impossible to alter the scores that have been erroneously set.

The maximum score that I chose possible for this assignment was 50 points. I set four broad categories and scores according to the level of competency exhibited in the students' work: Exemplary, 50 / Good, 40 / Limited, 30 / and Unsatisfactory, 20. 

Somehow, Canvas saw fit to alter these scores from 50 / 40 / 30 / 20, to 50 / 50 / 50 / 20, which is utterly bizarre.

Additionally, as the rubric is unusable to mark students work as-is, I tried to edit it - alas, to no avail. As I said, the rubric is for one assignment only (not multiple assignments). I tried editing the scores by clicking the edit icon on the rubric itself, and even went through the "Rubrics" link to manage it. In both cases, even when I clicked the pencil (?) icon to edit the rubric, changed the score, and clicked on "Update Rubric," no changes occurred. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @swhitney ...

Whoa...that does sound really bizarre!  I'm trying to rack my brain to think of any reasons why that rubric would behave the way you describe, and I am not coming up with anything.  When you were trying to update your rubric via the "Rubrics" screen in your course, did you make sure that the highest points were on the left-most columns and the lowest points were in the right-most column?  Example:

Rubric.jpg

Other than that, I think you may need to reach out to the Canvas Help Desk to see if they can provide further help...as this really doesn't seem like normal Canvas behavior.  If you do contact them, please come back to this topic to provide an update for us so we know if you found a solution.  Thanks!