Save, not submit, assignment comments

Jump to solution
sarah-canatsey
Community Participant

Our institution recently moved to Canvas (in the past year). I have a faculty who said in Blackboard they could write comments in assignments and just save them, but not submit. This allowed for them to be edited before grades were shown. That way, the faculty could do an initial grading and then go back and tweak some comments as needed. 

I don't see a way of doing that beyond copy/edit comments and deleting the original one. Is there an idea up for vote about adding this grading feature in Speedgrader? I didn't see one, but I could be searching the wrong key words. 

Thank you!

2 Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

@sarah-canatsey ,

Have you seen the "draft" comment submissions information?  From How do I leave feedback comments for student submissions in SpeedGrader?  If you enter an assignment score, the score will automatically submit to the Gradebook when navigating to a new submission in SpeedGrader. However, assignment comments must be submitted manually before they can be viewed by students.  This means that you can type up that comments and as long as the instructor does not hit the Submit button, those comments will stay in draft mode.  After the instructor types the comment and then just moves to the next student, the message Your comment was auto-saved as a draft. will appear.  When the instructor goes back to that student they will see this:

330873_Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 3.10.16 PM.png

Robbie

View solution in original post

I have NEVER seen anything like a draft comment. I have had many comments vanish because I forgot to hit Submit and only hit Save rubric or vice versa. How do I find the draft? Is this a setting I have to enable?

View solution in original post

0 Likes