Stop files converting to annotated PDFs for peer reviews

Jump to solution
tweathers
Community Member

I have students complete peer reviews for assignments in a coding class. They submit MATLAB code files (with .mlx and .m extensions), and their peers are supposed to download them, test them, and provide feedback.

There isn't an issue with the .mlx files (surprisingly), but the .m files are automatically converted to annotated PDFs when they are downloaded, and those do not run in MATLAB. Students have just been copying and pasting the text from the preview into MATLAB, but that bypasses some of the critical file-naming convention skills that the original student needed to demonstrate. It looks like this is an issue for Excel files as well.

Any tips on how to bypass this automatic conversion? Or is this a feature request?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think you're correct, @tweathers , that this will likely be a feature request, and that would lead to conversations about which file types should be included in the list not to be converted to PDF. Before then, I bet those whose expertise lies in the area of security might also have some thoughts on code files being up- and downloadable via Canvas. How about having students wrap their .m files inside a .zip file? I have CIS colleagues who do that when their students are writing scripts, macros, etc.

I’m going to mark my response as a solution, but there can be more than one. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options for meeting your needs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes