Student Peer Tutor as class observer?

Jump to solution
LindaBrock
Community Member

Like many high schools, we have some students serving as "peer tutors" in academic classes. Our students all have Canvas student accounts and normally have single-sign-on via an Active Directory integration.

One teacher would like to have their student peer tutor able to function as a class observer in Canvas (or an observer of individual students they are tutoring). Is this possible? and if so, how?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LindaBrock 

There are instructions for an instructor to pair a student with an observer at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-link-a-student-to-an-observer-in-a-cour... .  I believe that the observer has to already be enrolled in the course with an observer role--I don't know if your school allows instructors to do that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hi @LindaBrock -

This sounds like a great way to get students involved!

Before exploring this further, I want to point out an important aspect of the Observer role -- when linked to a specific student, observers see the student's work. For Peer Tutors, it may work best for Observers to view the class but not see individual students' work and grades. 

An Administrator should be able to add any user to a course and declare the individual's role in the course. The peer tutor can be a student in their classes and an observer in others. It becomes more complicated if they're required to have multiple roles within the same course.

View solution in original post

0 Likes