cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaraC0401

Student Response with red box

Jump to solution

I am a 4th grade math teacher (instructor),

I have attached two different written responses where the student's answer had red box in  the answer. Why would this happen? Is the student copying and pasting their answer from somewhere?

If that is the case, is there a way to block this from happening?

canvas red box.PNG

canvas red box-2.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @SaraC0401 

This is a very interesting question and something I recommend reaching out to our support for. It seems this could be something related to the equation editor with essay questions that we have encountered before, but we would need to do more investigation to determine the reason. Here are some ways you can contact our support team.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bowmanr
Community Champion

@SaraC0401 

Was this a quiz?  if so, was it a classic or new Quiz?  From looking at it, I am guessing a New Quiz with essay question format.

My first look at this would say that it was copied from somewhere - not because of the red squares, but because of the english. I may be wrong, but that is some impressive writing for a 4th grader (or at least it seems that way to me).

It is always possible they used some application to write up the answer and put the red boxes around what they considered the important parts of their answer.  You will probably have to ask the student how they created their answer to find out.  If they copied it from somewhere they won't be able to give you a satisfactory answer.  If they did it themselves, they will probably be more than happy to show you (or explain) what they did - just make sure to phrase your question about the format to make them think that it is a unique and interesting way of providing the solution.

HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @SaraC0401 

This is a very interesting question and something I recommend reaching out to our support for. It seems this could be something related to the equation editor with essay questions that we have encountered before, but we would need to do more investigation to determine the reason. Here are some ways you can contact our support team.