Student reference numbers problem in Speedgrader

Jump to solution
MICHAELSLANCAS
Community Member

Dear Canvas community,

Could you help us with the following issue please:?

When anonymous marking in Speedgrader, the students have reference numbers, e.g. 'Student 1', 'Student 2' etc.
On two occasions now, in different modules, we have had these reference numbers change for no apparent reason, e.g. 'Student 2' might become 'Student 64'. We don't know why this occurs, but it is confusing our staff.
No one is sorting the data or changing anything. We don't know when it happens, e.g. if this is linked to the student being in multiple groups, or following late submissions by other students, or is someone changing something in a database that we don't have access to?.

We have noticed that the anonymous ID contained in the URL remains the same, e.g.: &anonymous_id=1ZD3K Please could you let us know why this might be happening and how to prevent it?

Thank you
Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@MICHAELSLANCAS  and @Mose986 I may be misreading your question but I believe this is by design to further remove any bias, for example you can't decide you always like student 1's work.  See this line in the documentation: When a grader accesses a SpeedGrader link, the first student displayed in the student list is always randomly generated for every assignment.

How do I hide student names in SpeedGrader? - Instructure Community

Hope this helps!

Nick

View solution in original post

0 Likes