cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjohnston01
Community Participant

Support Help with Crosslisting

Hi!  We currently have the ability for Canvas Support to help with teacher crosslisting turned off.  Anyone have any feedback on allowing it?  I think we were too cautious at first and would love feedback before we make a change.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

@jjohnston01 We allow our faculty to cross-list on their own.  For the most part, it goes without issue and has not been a problem.  We do however get a fair amount of requests to do it for them which if it is just one or two classes we generally just do it for them rather than send them the directions.  It makes sense to me how it works (pick a "parent" course and then cross-list the other courses into it) but not all LMS systems work that way and faculty that have used other systems almost always end up either cross-listing it the wrong way or somehow cross-listing a course into itself.

As an admin you can decross-list a course and as long as content has not already been associated everything works fine.  The only issue we have run into is when after like 3 months, the faculty member decides they don't want the course cross-listed anymore and asks us to undo it.  This removes all assignments assigned to "everyone" from the courses that were cross-listed as those were really only created in the parent course.  Having us do the cross-listing allows us to fully explain what this is going to do and basically tell them they need to keep it this way for at least this term to not cause issues.

TLDR:

We do it and have really had no issues.

Hope this helps,

Nick

jjohnston01
Community Participant

Thank you!  Do you pay for the online support package for your district? We do and I was wondering if letting the Canvas Support would help with the volume in the Fall.  We have 5 high schools, 9 Middle, 21 elem schools all using it.  You're right though, the explanation of what happens if you are already weeks into the term is important.  I'd love to get feedback from someone that lets Canvas Support handle it (to see if it goes smoothly or not).

nwilson7
Community Champion

@jjohnston01 We do pay for support and that is an area we allow them to help a user do if they reach out.  For some reason, they were passing some of those back to us but we were able to get that straightened out that that is something they can help with.  (We have a small list of things that Canvas support must pass back to the University such as adding users).  When support helps, we have had no issues with that.

That is a pretty big district, hope you have some help!!!

jjohnston01
Community Participant

Thank you! That was what I was hoping you'd say.  We have 3 people on Canvas Support and then some Instructional Design Coaches in buildings that can advise.  K-12 has that parent portal to support also so it gets a bit crazy in the Fall.  Parents can only use in district support.  I'm looking to streamline some procedures to cut down on the volume anywhere I can : ).