User License Info - Difference in Deactivate, Suspend, and Removing users

Jump to solution
JosephHolloway
Community Member
  1. What is the difference in Deactivating, Suspending, and Removing users?

***I understand this is a loaded question, but deactivating a user is found in the People>"UsersName" and under specific courses and wasn't sure if they had different meanings. 

2. Does one or the other free up user license counts?

3. Where do I go to see current User License counts that are being used?

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JosephHolloway 

1) If you "deactivate" a person in a course, you are setting their enrollment status for that course to be "inactive".  They are still visible to the instructor, and their information/participation/overall grade in the course can be viewed, but they do not have access to the course anymore.  This is often used when a student has dropped the course, since it allows the instructor to report the student's participation for financial aid purposes, etc.

You when you "suspend" a user's account, you are preserving their information, but blocking them from logging into Canvas.  

If you "remove" a user from a course, then you are deleting their enrollment they are no longer visible to the instructor and have no access in the course at all.  

If you "delete" a user from the system, you are completely deleting their account from Canvas.

There is a handy overview of all these states at https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasEnrollmentStatusComparison.pdf 

2) & 3) You would want to consult your Canvas account/customer experience rep, but as far as I know, your Canvas contract is based on FTE at the school, rather than the specific number of actual users created on the system.  So there aren't really "user license counts".

View solution in original post