Using Outcomes and Sync to Sis

Jump to solution
ChaseHampton
Community Member

I am trying to use Outcomes to grade for mastery in my math class. And I was wondering if there was a way (or workaround) to get the point values for each outcome to sync to sis. We have multiple assignments pouring into an outcome and sometimes one assignment will meet multiple outcomes, so I don't want my assignments syncing, just the outcomes.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

There is no way to have Canvas do this automatically because Outcomes are not assignments and most SIS gradebooks don't recognize anything but assignments.

For us, we create Complete/Incomplete assignments for each Outcome. Rather than dealing with point-grubbing (why do I have a 3.5 instead of a 3.7?), we create complete/incomplete assignments for each assessed Outcome. The points don't really matter because students just see checkmarks or "x's" on their assignments. It's also nice because we're essentially saying, "You've demonstrated this thing" as an all-or-nothing rather than, "You know 80% of this thing."

We take the extra step of creating two gradebook categories: "Classwork" and "Standards/Outcomes". All assignments/tasks - homework, projects, tests, quizzes - are just demonstrations of learning at that point and are therefore all in the same category. All of the outcome complete/incomplete assignments go into the second category and serve as a ledger of progress. Our categories are heavily weighted toward outcomes, sometimes as much as 20% classwork, 80% standards, to put the focus on showing learning rather than completing work.

The fringe benefit is that students who struggle on tests or who miss assignments from time to time aren't destroyed by a single assignment. It's much more important that they get the checkmark on the standard using whatever evidence they have than to turn in every single piece of paper. At the same time, the assignments we're creating are essential for showing their learning, so the coursework is mutually supportive and students quickly see the benefit of completing the former to demonstrate the latter.

View solution in original post

0 Likes