Webex & Cross-listed sections in Canvas

Jump to solution
sean_flaherty
Community Participant

I typically cross-list sections within Canvas because it makes my life much easier by creating assignments with due dates broken down based on the section each student is enrolled in.  I'm curious if the Webex integration will allow me to create meetings that are only shown to particular sections so that I can offer synchronous meetings for each section without students from a different section joining.

Has anybody tried this?

I'm hesitant to invest the time to cross-list and integrate Webex into Canvas if I'm not going to be able to create meetings for the specific sections/groups.  If it doesn't work, I have to ask the tech people on my campus to undo everything I've done and then I start over.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
johncrisford
Community Member

We have that this year.

I cross-listed my classes in Canvas. I have 5 science classes, and one Advisory (homework), teaching 8th grade Science.

In order to have separate virtual meetings, 1) I went to my WebEx account and set up a single meeting for each class (recurring). Then I took the URL link to that meeting and 2) pasted it into an assignment in Canvas. That assignment is only assigned to that one section, so no other students can see the link at all. 3) I then rolled out all of those assignments under one module, where students go to login to their virtual meetings.

johncrisford_0-1598136810381.png

Since the Advisory class doesn't have assignments, I put their link in a Quiz (ungraded survey, no questions, just using the text box, available till the end of the year) and posted that Quiz info in a module specific to them.

Works like a charm. Technically, a student could send a friend the link to their class, but I haven't had it happen yet. 

John Crisford

View solution in original post