What happens to Quiz Timer in event of Canvas Service failure/degredation?

Jump to solution
brendaa
Community Contributor

Faculty were delivering timed Quiizzes during the 12/7 AWS outage. Students were kicked out of Canvas. What will happen to the timer when Canvas becomes available again? Will it have continued running so the student window to take the exam will have expired? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@brendaa I am in the affected area as well.  This happened to us in the spring as well.  I can tell you from watching the quizzes from the moderate tab that the time keeps going and if it expires by the time students get service back the quiz will be submitted automatically with whatever questions were answered.  From the student side, I believe that they will have access to the questions (provided they are not presented in the one at a time without being able to go back) when service is down - they just can't submit.  Good news(if there is any) that the service seemed to come and go and not be out for extended periods of time.

Unfortunately, your teachers are going to have to deal with any issues brought up by students - some will use it to their advantage; however the majority will handle it professionally.   I am not sure if there is a way that you can tell how affected a particular student is with the intermittent loss of service.

From both of the outages - the only real problem I had was students not being able to submit a file upload quiz question - so for that case they just emailed me the file - more work on my part, but at least it is not a complete disaster.

Good Luck

View solution in original post