Where do videos recorded in RCE get stored and best approach

Jump to solution
willmoin
Community Participant

Hi All, 

I'm just supporting a team who are looking at options for sharing narrated PowerPoints with students. One option I've identified (not necessarily the best) is taking a video file recorded through PowerPoint's Insert Screen Recording feature, and using the 'Record/Upload media' button within the Rich Content Editor. My question was where do the videos uploaded to this get stored - I can't find them within the Files area. Also by sharing videos in this way is it a good approach, does it stream them properly, or should I instead look to videos uploaded via Studio or a dedicated streaming server? I think the recording will end up being about 20 minutes long.

Thanks, Will (Liverpool, UK)

2 Solutions
adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

hi  @willmoin ‌,

I'm Canvas CSM from APAC. Any videos recorded by RCE are actually unique to where you recorded them - (i.e they do not get added as a course file or to a users personal file to be shared or reused). If you have Canvas Studio, I'd suggest recording it through there which can then be easily used throughout the Canvas system.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

kbarclay
Community Participant

Thanks, I guess these are the key lines you're referring to from your link:

If your media is longer than 15 minutes, you may want to consider recording and uploading using an external provider. Longer media recordings require more time to render and may be interrupted without a stable internet connection.

It's not definitive, merely a suggestion, but I'll accept that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes