Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Currently the only way to "remove color" is to select a greyscale value like #000000, #777777, or #FFFFFF, which fades out the image and isn't ideal.I am new to Canvas, so if there is a way to directly write backend CSS files that I'm unaware of, tha...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-22-2022 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 Replies

- attendance is 10 points per class. (That's correct in roll call settings.)- It is set to reflect as points, not percentage. (Like the rest of the assignments)- We've had two classes. Each of my students' grade under Roll Call Attendance shows 100/1...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-06-2016 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hello,I did a bad thing.  At the start of the semester, I set up a pre-test for my students.  It was in the form of a Practice Quiz.  Rather than first add questions to a Question Bank, I just added them directly to the quiz.  Now, I want to set up a...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 12-10-2016 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

We'd like to take greater advantage of custom course roles, but it appears that the custom course roles still don't show up in the Inbox when drilling down in a course to view users. I know this has been brought up in the past, and I had thought that...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-01-2016 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi! At the end of each of my quizzes, I usually like to add "extra credit" or "bonus questions," which are not required for students to answer, but provide an opportunity for students to earn 1 or 2 points beyond the "total possible" points of the qu...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-01-2020 View Solution
  • 13 Likes
  • 20 Replies

I'd like to use an ungraded canvas quiz/survey to solicit votes from my class on topics for the second term. This would be ideally a "ranking" style quiz (see here Survey Ranking Questions vs. Rating Questions  for the distinction between ranking / r...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 12-02-2016 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I am trying to determine the default font-family used in Canvas. I need to have that information to report it in a grad school course that I am taking.  I have searched all over for it, but don't see it anywhere.  Any help would be appreciated!  Than...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 12-02-2016 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 Replies

In previous semesters Canvas alerted my Gmail account each time I sent or received a message through Canvas.  This semester it stopped doing it, and there are no options to set it up this way.  I am not home a lot, and I have limited data on my phone...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Can Canvas Data access the granular attendance data created by Roll Call?

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-19-2016 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I did a brief search of the general Canvas help and didn't find this, so was wondering if others knew: what does it look like from a student view to submit to an Assignment or Quiz after the deadline has passed? I had a Quiz with a deadline yesterday...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-17-2016 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Also, can I keep assignments unpublished but with the proper due dates.  Bottom line,  I was unable to create everything before the course started, so now I am scrambling to create and teach.  Do you have any advice to go about this issue for me in t...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-12-2016 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Students created video projects and submitted them to a Canvas assignment.  I would like to download and save some of the submissions to my computer, but can't find a way to do so.  Is this possible?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 12-18-2019 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Our teachers are interested in a Pinterest style app for brainstorming.  A bit more free flowing than a Canvas discussion or a Google doc collaboration.  We'd like to ensure their thoughts are not on a public site in the event they share sensitive in...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Hi!My school admin recently added the CK12 app to our Canvas page and I want to add a practice quiz to an assignment.  I can usually see it as an option for an online submission, but I have no idea how to use it.  When I test it out, the app says "yo...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I am trying to add a student and professor to one section from another section in the same course.  I added them and it sent an invitation.  Beside their names it says pending.  However, they are not seeing an invitation on their end.  Any advice on ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-25-2016 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is it possible to add points to every student's score on an exam? I only see information about quizzes that are set up in Canvas. I do not see any options for manually entered exam scores.  For example, if there was an error in the key or a question,...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 05-08-2020 View Solution
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Is there a way to see if a student saw an announcement?  Are there statistics showing how many of the students in a course saw an announcement?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-20-2016 View Solution
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 Replies

How do I add a  "Next" button in the bottom right hand corner of a page in order to navigate sequentially through the course?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-18-2016 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I would like to be able to move modules into another module. For example, Unit 1 exam covers chapters 1-3, and each chapter is a module. Following the exam, I would like to "tidy up" the page, by pushing all exam 1 modules into that module. I was abl...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 11 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I am trying to design a quiz using the matching function because it allows me to copy and paste multiple answers all at once.  The nature of the quiz requires that I have ~75 possible answers.When I preview the quiz, all the answers are jumbled.  I d...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-15-2016 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is anyone aware of a shortcut to add new questions to a question bank instead of scrolling all the way to the top to press add?  When you add questions to a quiz it has the buttons down at the bottom to add a new question.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-15-2016 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I had a teacher ask me if there are any free apps (LTIs) for plagiarism checkers in Canvas. He said that he found one called Unplag, but it will cost him $60 a year to use. He wants me, as the district admin, to add it to all accounts. However, I can...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I want to assign point values (1 through X) for multiple answer quiz questions, but I don't want the students to have the "hint" that a point value would offer. I do not see a "hide point value" option, as I had in Schoology. How do I do this? Thanks...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-11-2016 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I would like to hide old announcements in my courses. I do not need them deleted, I just want to hide them if that is possible.  If so, directions on how to do that are appreciated!

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-07-2018 View Solution
  • 12 Likes
  • 18 Replies

In Canvas, once there are a self-organized group been created, the Student Groups will be created. the Student Groups tab will then stay in the People page forever.I can not find a way to remove it even there are no more groups inside.Can anybody sho...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 Replies

I like to use some quizzes as a way for the students to self-access subject knowledge by allowing them multiple attempts.  My theory being that they can then focus study time on weak areas.  It appears that Canvas will only allow me to show all the r...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-31-2016 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Can we create due dates based on the day a student accepts the class in Canvas?  So a student starts a class on Wednesday.  I add him/her to the class, they accept the course, and from that date it calculates the due dates.  So for example maybe the ...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 06-07-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Is the most recent assessment point used in the decaying average outcome calculation type the assignment with the most recent due date, or is it based on when the assignment was actually graded? I'm guessing it's based on the due date, otherwise stud...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I had instructor give a quiz.  There are a total of 21 students in the class, and all 21 took a quiz last week.  When I click on Quiz Statistics, the Quiz Summary only shows 15 respondents and their coordinating responses.  The instructor allowed two...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Opening PDF files-  I don't want students to have to download a pdf file to view.  I want it to simply open.  How do I do this?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-26-2016 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies