canvas does not work for safari browser

Jump to solution
XuYingLiang
Community Novice
I can access canvas by google chrome, but I cannot access it by safari. I can use Google Chrome temporary, but I don't think it is right.

I have been using safari to access canvas for more than two years. This problem seemed to appear since last semester. Sometimes, I cannot access canvas by safari, and then I can use it again two days later. I think there is a bug or problem with the canvas website because my safari does not have problems to access any other websites. One of my classmates told me that she also encountered the same problem since mar. 2. I think ubc it has the responsibility to solve this technical problem, rather than forcing students to update their systems or just switch to other browsers. I don't think I need to talk more about how important canvas is to every student. I don't want this problem to delay my study or disturb others' study (students who also encounter this problem). I think it's inappropriate to force users to update the latest version of software every time it has a latest version. I hope ubc it can fix it as soon as possible.
  • Safari 14 and 15 (Macintosh only)image0.jpeg
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @XuYingLiang 

This is a public discussion board for Canvas users from different schools all over the world, not specific to your school.

Generally speaking, your school does not have control over the browser requirements in Canvas. A list of the current computer and browser requirements is available at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/What-are-the-browser-and-computer-requirement... 

Keep in mind that in order to make many new tools and features available, Instructure must be able to make use of specific browser functionality.  Also keep in mind that keeping your browser up to date is also important for security, since many updates are intended to remedy security holes or bugs in the browser.

View solution in original post