how to share a canvas course with another teacher not in your school district

Jump to solution
amlozada
Community Novice

If I am working with a friend in another state/district how can I share a course with them to work together?

1 Solution
rpsimon
Community Contributor

If you are going to work together on the same course at the same time, then both of you must be instructors in the course within the same Canvas instance.  Being that your friend is in another district and likely has a different Canvas instance, you will need to get permission from your Canvas admin in order to add him/her as an instructor to the course.  As you don't work at the same school, I imagine there will be several steps involved in setting this up.  

If you are not able to do so (because of any legal reasons or so forth), you could at least share the existing content (if you have any) with each other through a couple of different ways.  One option would be to share it through the Canvas Commons.  Have you heard of the Canvas Commons?  It's a great repository filled with a variety of Canvas content that has been created by teachers. This includes but is not limited to: courses, quizzes, pages, assignments, and more.  You need to make sure that your school and your friend's school both have access to the Commons.  (Ask your Canvas admin about that.). 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460-canvas-instructor-guide-table-of-contents#jive_conten... 

How do I share a course to Commons? 

A second way to share an existing course would be to export the course as a package (or Canvas cartridge) through the Course settings page.  You could then share it by emailing it (depending on the amount of data) or share it by another means, such as Google Drive.  Your friend would then import the course into a new course shell in Canvas.

How do I export a Canvas course? 

If this is going to be a long term project, then I would highly recommend asking your Canvas admins about making you both instructors of the same course.  

Good luck!

View solution in original post