last name, first name gradebook export

Jump to solution
robert_denomme
Community Member

My apologies if this was well documented somewhere...

I noticed that the gradebook export changed at the beginning of 2019 to produce student names as first name last name, as opposed to 2018 where it exported as last name, first name. This change somewhat cripples my ability to manage exported student data.

Is there a way for me to change this back?

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@robert_denomme , greetings! I actually have a fix for this! This change is related to the feature option - "Gradebook - List students by Sortable Name." At our school this is turned on, which is why it's not impacting us - because our gradebooks are still downloading by last name, first name. Yet, I did some testing in Canvas Beta and if you turn this off, then it switches to first name, last name. What can you do? If you are a Canvas Admin, then go to your Admin settings and "Feature Options" and turn this feature on (or to "Allow"). If you are a teacher you can go to Settings for your own course and click on "Feature Options" and see if "Gradebook - List students by Sortable Name" is something you can turn to "on." If so, then problem solved. If this doesn't show up or if you can't turn this on, then you will have to talk with the Canvas Admin at your school to get this adjusted.

I hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post